MESSAGE FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT
It is hard to believe that 2016 has passed and 2017 is already upon us! 2016 saw many improvements in the NLSD and 2017 hopes to be even better yet. At the recent January Board of Education meeting the board approved and authorized the following that will have a direct impact on the future growth, development, and improvement within our district:
- The NLSD Board of Education approved the following as our Mission Statement for the district:
“Create a culture of continuous improvement where ALL students are provided opportunities for success!”
We believe this statement positively represents what we believe to be our “primary mission” and will serve as our guide, or basis, for the decisions we make in our district.Every student, every employee, every community member, is capable of continually improving.As a district, we will strive to support every effort to do so!
- As many of you hopefully have noticed we have made many improvements to our campus and infrastructure over the past three years. We are excited to continue this process during the Summer of 2017 as we are in the planning stages of three major projects. The Board of Education recently authorized me as Superintendent to move forward with plans to complete the following:
- Complete HVAC restoration, including the addition of air conditioning at SES and SMS. Design work is currently underway with bidding to take place in early March and construction to begin mid-May. Once completed, the entire buildings heating system will be replaced and the building will be air conditioned throughout. Our current HVAC system has already exceeded its life expectance and this new system will extend our system life expectancy to 25-30 additional years..
- SHS paving and re-surfacing throughout. We are currently developing bid specifications for a complete parking lot “re-hab” similar to what we did at SES/SMS a year ago. We are excited to begin this project as well!
- Construction of an all-weather track at the SHS stadium. Architects and engineers are currently working on design plans for the development and construction of an all-weather track at our stadium. This will be a great addition to our campus, providing community members a great place to exercise and walk, and our athletes a great place to train and compete.
- The Board of Education recently purchased 39 acres across from SHS and look forward to working to develop plans for the use of that property. There are numerous ideas already being shared that have the potential to greatly enhance our learning, recreational, and facility opportunities. Some ideas already being generated include, but are not limited to the following: additional parking, site of future bus garage, expanded walking and fitness trails, land lab opportunities, etc. We are excited about the numerous opportunities and potential to expand our campus!
As Superintendent, I am excited to work with our staff , community, and students continuing our efforts to “get better every day” in all that we do. I realize that we will never be perfect, but fear of failure will not keep us from our efforts to continually advance and move forward to “create a culture of continuous improvement where ALL students are provided opportunities for success!”